Squaw Valley #1
About 5 miles outside of Tahoe City, off of Hwy 89 is the entrance to Squaw Valley, the site of the 1960 Winter Olympics. Squaw Valley has a wide variety of recreational activities from skiing, snowboarding & ice-skating to cable car rides, hiking, horseback riding, the Olympic History Museum or shopping & dining in the new Village.
Fanny Bridge #2
Named for the view of the posteriors of the folks bending over the bridge to catch a glimpse of the giant trout that live just below the outlet gates of the dam that controls water flow into the Truckee River. Located on Hwy 89 in Tahoe City just south of the Wye.
Gatekeepers Cabin #3
Originally the home of the first water master who controlled the flow of water out of Lake Tahoe, the cabin was rebuilt for the North Lake Tahoe Historical Society Museum. Exhibits & photos from Tahoe’s rich past. Located between Fanny Bridge and Bank of the West, the cabin also houses the Marion Steinbach Native American Basket Collection, noted as one of the most extensive in the country. Lakeside picnics available. Hours vary by season. Call 530-583-1762 for more information. 1st floor only
Watson Cabin #4
Open June 15th through Labor Day, this is for those who are interested in what life what like in Tahoe at the turn of the century. Built in 1909, some of the original furniture is on exhibit and guides dressed in period costumes conduct tours. Robert Montgomery Watson built the cabin for his son Robert H. and his wife. The Watson’s planted the lilacs growing under the sunroom. The cabin was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, and now belongs to the North Lake Tahoe Historical Society. 1st floor only
Tahoe Maritime Museum #5
Step back to the time when grand steamships & gleaming wood boats plied the waters of the lake. Interactive exhibits, restored boats, children’s & family activities. Open daily in summer, Friday thru Sunday in winter. 530-525-9253
Sugar Pine Point State Park #6
The site of the original log cabin of the old Indian fighter General Phipps and the Ehrman Mansion, Pine Lodge, which was the vacation home of a wealthy Bay Area family and is open for tours from Memorial Day weekend thru September for a small fee. Markers posted along the nature trails provide you with historical info on Tahoe and its inhabitants. Camping, picnicking, and biking available. Parking fee. Grounds and restrooms only.
Eagle Falls #7
Across Hwy 89 from Emerald Bay: A short ¼ mile, somewhat steep hike to a footbridge above the Eagle Falls. You may continue on the same trail for 1 mile to Eagle Lake for even more spectacular views of Lake Tahoe and the surrounding mountains.
Emerald Bay / Vikingsholm #8
Located on Hwy 89 between Tahoe City and South Lake Tahoe this is one of the most photographed spots in the world. The highway is hundreds of feet above the lake and offers spectacular views of Emerald Bay, a three-mile long appendage of Lake Tahoe. Fanette Island, at the center of the bay, has remains of a stone teahouse on its peak. On the shore of the bay is Vikingsholm. Built in 1929 this 38-room reproduction of a Scandinavian castle is a 1.5-mile walk down to the water from the parking lot. It is open for tours from Memorial Day weekend thru September. Call for a reservation if handicap access is needed 530-541-6198
Donner Campsites and Museum #9
Three different locations mark the sites where the Donner Party spent the winter of 1846-47. 1. Donner Historical Site (3 miles north of I-80 and Hwy 89) – the very tree where the Donner family pitched their tent and spent the winter. 2. The Graves families cabin (south of Old Hwy 40 between Truckee Elementary School and Tahoe Truckee Factory Stores) A huge white cross marks the spot. 3. The Donner Memorial State Park (just off of I-80 at the Donner Lake Exit) where most of the Donner group camped. The museum located here, houses artifacts and exhibits and presents film and slide shows relating to the ordeals endured by the Donner Party and the History of the Town of Truckee. The park also features a 7,500-ft long lakeside interpretive trail with 18 educational display panels. Small admission fee. Open daily 9a.m. to 4 p.m. 530- 582-7892. Museum and nature trail.
Settled in 1863 the Town of Truckee was named after a Paiute Indian Chief and is rich in history. From Early Pioneers to the building of the western portion of the Transcontinental Railroad over the rugged Sierra’s. The Historic buildings on Commercial Row (Downtown) now house unique shops & restaurants. Pick up a walking tour map at the train station downtown.
Carson City #11
Nevada’s state capitol & home to the Nevada State Museum. Housed at the former U. S. Mint, some of the original machinery is still on display, as well as extensive exhibits of natural and human history, area geology & wildlife. The basement has been converted into a silver mine allowing you to view the mine workings and exhibits as you wander along the mine rails. The Nevada State Railroad Museum is located south of downtown on Hwy 395 at Fairview Drive. Featuring over 50 pieces of railroad equipment from Nevada’s past, it is considered one of the finest regional museums in the country. Steam engine train rides on holidays.
Virginia City #12
Virginia City is one of the nation’s largest historic districts. For over 50 years the surrounding hills produced more than $400,000,000 in silver & gold. Exhibits, Historic buildings & homes to tour, steam engine rides, mine tours and blocks of covered boardwalks on which to stroll. Take Hwy 431 crossing over Route 395 to Virginia City.
Originally established as Mormon Station in 1851 as a trading post & pony express stop, Genoa is Nevada’s oldest permanent settlement. It is also home to Nevada’s oldest bar! The Courthouse serves as a museum for the area & Snowshoe Thompson, who carried the mail across the Sierra’s in winter is buried in the old cemetery. Antique shops fill old Victorian homes. Located south of Carson City, turn right at the 3rd stoplight after Hwy 50 on to Jack’s Valley Road.